Saturday 23 May 2015

Review: Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo




I wish I had got this book earlier. I read 'Shadow and Bone' back in February and praised it as one of the best books I had ever read, so I don't know why I didn't get my hands on the second book in the trilogy sooner and definitely regret holding out for so long now. This book is not as good as its predecessor, or maybe I have just been reading better books since, but it is still stunning in the characters that are created and world that is formed. The story of Alina has continued beautifully and I'm glad I can share in that experience.
'Nothing good can last forever' is a phrase that comes to mind with the start of this novel. Mal and Alina were just about ready to start a secluded life together, but of course two more books can't be made of them buying a cottage and beginning a new life together; something was bound to go wrong. (I still find it amusing how even there every girl seemed to be throwing themselves at Mal. If he really is that irresistible then I would like to meet him in real life.) Anyway, I knew from the opening pages that it was only a matter of time before the Darkling caught up to them and I'm sort of glad he did. To me, the idea of Mal and Alina spending the rest of their lives together is not wholly satisfying. Personally, I see their relationship as a first crush relationship; it's a nice first experience, but it won't last for long. So, the Darkling's arrival was a great way to get the ball rolling in terms of the end of their relationship.
Also, the introduction of the Darkling in such a violent way meant that we could understand the new powers he had gained and what sort of threat he posed as compared to in the last novel. The introduction of new creatures that are more powerful and can cause lasting harm is something that stays with a reader and Alina's wound was a constant reminder throughout the novel of the threat that the Darkling is as without it, I feel like I would have stopped thinking of him as a danger. The visions that seemed to stem from that wound are something that I would like to explore more in terms of what they actually were and whether it means that the Darkling has any control over the people who have been attacked by his creatures. I hope for Alina's sake that he doesn't.
As soon as Sturmhond was introduced, I suspected that he might become a love interest, and really I was looking at every man in the novel to consider him as Alina's eventual realisation. However, I have to admit that I didn't expect him to be Prince Nikolai and that revelation really left me on the edge of my seat! I instantly wanted to continue reading and find out any sort of back-story and learn the implications of that discovery. From that moment in the novel, the story changed its course and it was a journey I was very happy to go on.
Power is definitely one of the major themes of this novel. From when Alina got the second amplifier we started to see small, subtle changes in her that grew over time. It was interesting and slightly scary to see how she changed. With power comes responsibility and using the power you possess in a way that does not only benefit yourself is important. Alina continued to state that her intentions were only wanting the best for her country and the people within it, but as each week past, we got to see that the craving inside of her for more power was also driving it. I hope that when they obtain the third amplifier it won't be a disaster for her as a person.
The end of this book came very suddenly and left me with a lot of questions. I won't voice them all here, but I'm sure if you've read this book you'll know exactly the type of questions I'm thinking of. I can only hope that the next book will tie everything off in a way that is fitting and deserving for the characters. I'll be holding out my own hopes as to what will happen, but I can't dwell on something that may not come true.

Overall, this book was beautiful and heart rendering. I would recommend the Grisha Trilogy to everyone who takes their time to read this as, to me, it is one of the best YA series out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment