Saturday 9 July 2016

Moving On and Letting Go


One of the main reasons for me having so many books, apart from my uncontrolled book buying sprees, is that I find it very difficult to get rid of books once I've bought them. I read them and if I like them, I will aim to read them again at some point in the future and that, I find, is quite a justifiable reason for keeping them. If I don't like them, however, I will keep them anyway and even I, the guilty party, find it a bit hard to understand why with some.

With the majority, the reasoning is clear. Though the book may not have been that good, in my opinion, I just can't stand the thought of such a beautiful spine being snapped by someone who doesn't appreciate the beauty of books or it going on to be destroyed, as I have worked in a charity shop and if something doesn't sell after a while, well, I don't really want to think about what happens to it. These reasons might seem a little materialistic, but it's a barrier I can't overcome.

Also, if I'm uncertain on a book, I will let myself keep it because I promise myself that I will read it again at some point in the future, which is an almost impossible task looking at how many books I have on my TBR pile.

Often the books I didn't really enjoy will go onto my bookshelves and that only makes it harder to let them go because I have given them a place and my mind cannot imagine them not being there anymore.

The books pictured above, however, have been sitting in a box beneath my desk for the past couple of years, having been moved off my shelves for books I vastly preferred. So, in a small summer clear out, I decided it was time for them to go. They weren't doing anything useful hidden away and I just have to hope that they will go to a loving home.

Do you find it hard to clear out your books? If so, why? If not, teach me your ways, please.


-E

No comments:

Post a Comment