Saturday 16 May 2020

Review: Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston


My rating: ⭐⭐⭐


This book was a bit of a disappointment. It struggled between being a romance and a political thriller with a foot not far enough into each realm to make it worth it. The building up of the romance from hate to them getting together felt too rushed and then quickly became a play by play of ‘Henry and Alex did this, Henry and Alex did that’. Adding to that the fact that I’m not invested enough in American politics to fully comprehend the campaign and the role of each of the ‘White House Trio’ in that, it made what should have been a fun and interesting read into less of that.

Having said all that, this book was not awful. There were some funny moments and I believed in the love between Alex and Henry. The email chains later in the book also highlighted the struggles of long-distance relationships that I feel are very applicable in the current situation.

Unfortunately though, I feel that this book will quickly fall into a pile with others that I have forgotten the plot of and for which I don’t care about the characters in.


[Goodreads parallel]

No comments:

Post a Comment