Monday 26 January 2015

Review: A Breath Of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey


Upon seeing the cover of this book in my school's library I was instantly drawn to it and as I am a lover of fantasy, a blurb that had hints of magic was enough for me to take it with full force.
This is the first book by Alyxandra Harvey that I've read and at first I was very concerned with where the book was going. It seemed to me that for the first fifty pages or so nothing was particularly clear and although I could tell that the author had some great ideas, they failed to make it onto the page in a way that suited someone who had only just entered that world. However I can look back, knowing what I know from later on in the book, and say that it could represent how the cousins were feeling, but as an introduction to the trilogy, I was not overly impressed.
As I got further into the story I grew to be very interested in it, so much so that I finished it far earlier than I thought I would. This book is different to others about witchcraft because of how witchcraft was presented (the sides of good and evil and hierarchy within the witching community) and because of the time period it was set in. The early 1800s is actually a time period that I have rarely discovered through books, so this was a nice taster.
Emma, Gretchen and Penelope were characters that I especially liked because of their resilience to conform to what society expected of them. It is something that in today's society wouldn't be frowned upon, but in that time it was very rare and it made me so happy to have main characters who wanted to be different. Although, I am led to question whether any girls at that time did act as they did because of punishments that would have been brought about as a result of their actions.
In a way I did not like the fact that from the start of the novel I, as the reader, knew that Emma and Cormac were going to end up together. Their romance was a sweet forbidden one, but it was so plainly obvious from the first page that I was almost uninterested in it. It felt like it was a doomed relationship rather than a destined one.
I have to commend Harvey on her presentation of Daphne because I believed what Emma, Gretchen and Penelope did about her. I was so caught up in their presumptions that I didn't notice that she could be any different from how they thought her to be. From the beginning of the book she was believed to be a villain in a ball gown, but as the story progressed we got to see more and more of who she truly was. It is character development like that that I try and find in every novel.
On the other side of Emma's high class society was that of Moira and her companions. Her life of living on rooftops and stealing to make her way by is not one that I haven't heard of before, but it was made intriguing by her affinity with magic, the things she had had to suffer through and her connection with the other protagonists. I would really like to look more into her past and see what else lies beneath her surface and what has made her become her.
Flashbacks are often a fickle thing, but I think they were handled well. There were not so many that I was overwhelmed by them, yet not so little that I lost interest in the characters that they focused on. The story of Theodora could be written into a book of its own, but at this point I feel it is necessary for Emma to be in the dark about some things. I would definitely like to know more about her life in the books to come though.
As you can easily tell from the blurb, there was death in this book and it think that there were just the right amount of deaths and they were people that I, as the reader, knew well enough to feel sorry about, but not so much that I started to hate the author for killing off one of my favourite characters. That balance was just right in this book.
My only real complaint about this novel, apart from the unclear start, is the grammar. I think I will have to stop writing this in my reviews soon because it seems that no one else cares about the matter, but I will never accept connectives being used as sentence starters in the middle of narration. It is really saddening to see again and again and it seems that everyone has just accepted it to be correct now.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next! Luckily no one had taken in from the school's library when I got it out this morning or I would have been a bit vexed.

No comments:

Post a Comment