Wednesday 19 February 2020

Review: Anne's House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery


My rating: ⭐⭐⭐

This was another quick and enjoyable read from the Anne of Green Gables series. There wasn’t an oversaturation of side-characters as there had been in other books with enough mention of characters outside of the periphery to remind you that they still existed without it becoming overwhelming. The side-characters that were present were well developed and I found myself caring about them more than previous ones, especially the story about Leslie and Dick/George Moore.

However, Anne’s pregnancies and the loss of baby Joyce, I feel, were handled poorly. Firstly, I didn’t even realise Anne was pregnant until she was almost giving birth in both cases and secondly, the loss of Joyce was covered only in half as much detail as I thought would be necessary for the reader and Anne to understand the weight of the situation. I understand that I’m writing this from a modern perspective where child mortality levels are much lower and post-natal depression and other related topics are discussed more openly, but brushing this storyline aside so quickly, in my opinion, did this book a great disservice.


No comments:

Post a Comment