Monday 17 August 2020

Review: Normal People by Sally Rooney

 


My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I’m not sure what I was expecting when I started this book, but I didn’t expect what it actually was. I knew that it covered a time span of years and so I was really surprised by the size at first; I had been expecting at least a 400-page book.

 

I think I had been trying so hard to avoid spoilers as well that I failed to look for trigger warnings for this book. Mental illness (depression and anxiety), suicide, eating disorders, physical abuse, mental/emotional abuse and sexual abuse are all major triggers for this book. Thankfully I was alright reading these, but I know some people who would not be. I’ll probably find loads of posts about Normal People with the trigger warnings, but I had no clue about them going into the book.

 

The other thing that really shocked me was the lack of speech marks. In a way, I’m glad that I didn’t know this before reading because I feel like it might have put me off the book before I’d given it a chance. Whilst it did put me off for the first fifty or so pages, I ended up really enjoying the lack of speech marks because it removed the temptation to skip paragraphs and just focus on the speech.

 

Overall, I gave this book four stars because of the realness and emotional connection I felt towards the characters; I was really invested in their story. This wasn’t a five star read for me because I would have preferred it to be longer and there wasn’t that something that five star reads have.

 

Connell and Marianne remind me of the ‘relationships as lines’ that I have seen. They come together and drift apart, end up wound together tightly but separate, only to find that they can’t stay that way. It’s the most accurate description of those lines that I’ve ever read, and I love it for that.



No comments:

Post a Comment