Saturday 27 June 2015

Review: Candy by Kevin Brooks


I would say that my true rating for this book is 3.5 stars, but it deserves to be rounded up rather than down. This novel is fast-paced with a mix of action, romance and a meaningful undertone of the importance of family. The characters all had depth and made me interested enough in their lives so I would want to read on. I think, the reason for me not saying that this book is up there with the best is that I feel like more could have been done with it. Also, some things just seemed a little too easy, whereas in real life, I imagine they would be harder. If you're looking for a quick read with high levels of drama, then I would really recommend this book.
***
I feel like the character of Joe is a good place to start with this review. He was very relatable and managed to voice some of the feelings that I experience myself. For example, the worried feelings we all experience when we drop something in public or are wearing something that isn't considered to be cool and trendy by most of society, were portrayed excellently by Joe and his actions. Joe was almost a spokesperson of those emotions and it made me glad that he wasn't written as many people imagine guys have to be; not self-conscious and confident. Those traits helped me warm to Joe and this was helped by his interest in music. I think the saying is mostly true that no girl can ever resist a guy in a band, but this story showed a different side to it. It demonstrated Joe wanting to find a small escape in music and how music helped him express himself, especially with his feelings towards Candy after they first met.  Personally, Joe is a character who I would happily go and meet for coffee or just chat to out and about and I don't think there are enough characters like that.
This book deals with first crushes, or first loves, in a very serious way. The clarity with which Joe can remember everything illustrates the intensity of his feelings perfectly and it was nice to see a book deal with this sort of romance so differently. As first relationships go, theirs was definitely not an easy one. I have previously read one of Brooks' books that dealt with heroin addiction in a much more minor way, but it was important in this novel that it was dealt with in much more depth. It was almost hard to read about in some places, because as I have now finished this book I can put it down and smile as it's only a story, but the harsh truth is that it's not a story for some people and not all people are as lucky as Candy was as she was able to get away from that life. Such a dark undertone mixed in with a romance is an odd combination when you first think of it, but then you realise that getting over an addiction and having people there to support you go hand in hand.
The ending of this book felt like it happened very abruptly. In a way, I don't think I was ready for it to end; I could have happily stayed reading for a few more hours. Having said that, I think that the ending was both good and bad. It was good for the high levels of tension and the anticipation I felt for the characters, yet not as good because I feel like it shouldn't have been that easy. In my mind, for Iggy to go down, someone else would have had to go down first, but that didn't happen. It all seemed to go just a little too well. Still, I guess that even if Candy didn't die trying to kill Iggy, Joe still lost her because of where she was taken to afterwards.

I think that you have to feel a certain way about a book for it to get up into the realms of five stars and while there is no doubt in my mind that this book is a good book, it just didn't make me feel those feelings. Overall, this is a quick and relatively easy read. It makes me excited to see what Brooks can do in the future with his writing style as he continues to improve it even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment