Thursday 25 June 2015

Review: Lucas by Kevin Brooks



This book was a disappointment, yet it exceeded expectations in some ways. Despite not liking certain aspects of this novel, it was still an enjoyable read. I think if I had read this book a few years ago, I would have liked it more for the tension in it and the constant wondering if Cait and Lucas would be a couple, even if only for a short while. However, as I am now older, I feel like that sort of thing doesn't appeal to me as much. Also, the language did become over simple in places. However, I think that the events at the end at the novel boosted my feelings surrounding this book. It was unexpected and slightly sad. For that, I like this book a lot more.
***
At certain points, this book became extremely 'tell don't show', which is the opposite of what keeps the reader engaged. I would rather learn about characters throughout the novel than have a page dedicated to their life story near the beginning. It meant that I knew exactly what to expect from each character, so certain events which were supposed to be surprising weren't. For example, if, near the beginning of the novel, when Jamie almost attacked Cait on the beach there hadn't been a page dedicated to how bad and horrible Jamie was, then I would have been able to learn that from the event that was taking place at the time and from the events later in the novel when Jamie's character is shown. It made the book much more boring as a whole because I didn't want descriptions like that, I wanted to learn about the characters through their actions. That could have so easily been done by simply taking out the pointlessly long descriptions of the characters when they were first introduced.
On the other hand to that, I found the descriptions of the landscapes that were visited in this book amazing. I felt like I was actually there in Cait's body, experiencing what she experienced in perfect clarity. I am a big fan of lengthy descriptions of the places where characters go and this book really ticked all my boxes in those terms. I think that this is an area in which Brooks excels and reading through the descriptions of the landscapes was one of my favourite aspects to this novel.
The storyline of this book became quite intriguing at certain points. I started to feel nervous for the characters that I liked and concerned for  their safety, while also wishing that events that I knew were coming wouldn't happen. There were quite a few points of tension within this book and others where in wanted to shout at the characters through the pages. This book did well on making me experience a range of emotions through the events that happened within it, but I feel like if the writing within the book was to be improved then it would make the rollercoaster of emotions reach higher.
In terms of the writing within this book, I understand why it was written in such a way, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I like it. By reaching the end of the book and experiencing Lucas' death, it means that everything starts to make sense in terms of why Cait wrote everything down, but the continual first person chattiness of the book meant that it felt like the book was trying to be too friendly. With a story written from the first person, I feel that I should read the book as if I am the main character, but in certain points of the novel, it felt like Cait was addressing me, which shouldn't be happening in terms of who I was supposed to be. Still, I feel that it was important to have the novel from Cait's perspective as the events affected her so deeply.
This novel tried to touch on what it is like to be a teen and trying to stay on the right path, while others fall off the rails. However, I feel like it was dealt with almost immaturely. It made being a teen seem as if every night someone offers to get high with you or that teens just work their way through an endless supply of alcohol. Speaking from my own experience, that is not what happens. While the 'cool kids' do go to parties now and then, they certainly don't live it up in the way that this book says they do. I felt that this inaccuracy put me off the book a little. As a side-note, I also didn't like that almost every character smoked and that the smoking was described in a confusing way. One moment they were halfway through a cigarette and the next moment they were lighting up another. It all started my head spinning and then I would look back and figure out that they hadn't finished their last one; is smoking two at once some new craze?

Overall this book wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. There were a lot of things that could have been improved, but it was still enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment