Saturday 13 June 2015

Review: P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han



This book isn't one that amazed me. After the turn of every page I wasn't totally emotionally invested in the story, yet I still wanted to keep reading; I wanted to know what would happen, even if I didn't particularly care about the characters. By the end, I started to care more about Lara Jean's dating life and who she would pick, but until about half way through, I was getting bored of Peter and Lara Jean's relationship.
A reoccurring focus in this book was the video of Lara Jean and Peter in the hot tub. I liked how this book explored the different expectations of men and women and how the video influenced them, but after hearing about it a few times, it started to become a tad repetitive. Just when we thought we could forget about the video, there it would be again like a small fly trapped in your room that you lose sight of for a while before it's buzzing in your face again. At first the video provided a great opportunity to test Lara Jean and Peter's relationship, but then it started to become tedious.
I feel like in this book, many characters changed for the worse. In the last book, I really liked Peter. He was nice, kind, funny and wasn't being an asshole. In this book though, he was the opposite. I had been expecting Lara Jean and Peter to break up for most of the book leading up to the moment when they did, however what I wasn't expecting was for him to ask for the necklace back afterwards. That is just a dick move. A few months ago a friendship ended between me and this girl, but I wasn't going to ask her for the earrings I gave her for her birthday back because they symbolise the friendship that we had at the time and me asking for them back would only make things bitter between us. Basically, I now no longer like Peter because he changed from the good guy we knew in the first book to someone I would happily leave in the dust.
On the other hand, I'm beginning to like John quite a bit. I think the fact that he and Lara Jean wrote letters to each other was sweet and in modern day romances letters aren't often written, which is a shame, so having that exchange between them was a new yet old, interesting thing. Also, I think that the memories he and Lara Jean built up over the course of this book are worth much more than the ones that she and Peter have. Things like playing in the snow in the middle of the night and plotting together for their game of assassins are fun and, especially with the snow, is something that really stands out to me in this book. The fact that it stands out to me so much tells me personally, that I prefer Lara Jean and John as a couple.
The development of Genevieve as a character in this novel was something that I had been looking forward to and though we didn't find out what was actually happening until the end of the novel, it was interesting for me to be wondering what could possibly be happening within her family throughout most of the novel. Obviously, your dad having an affair is a horrible thing and seeing, at eleven years old, your boyfriend kissing your best friend can't be a nice thing, but I still think that Genevieve's actions of, firstly, filming and secondly, posting the video of Lara Jean and Peter was childish and uncalled for.
My only other point to make is my annoyance at the continued actions of Kitty. As someone who has a nine year old sister, I know that the way Kitty is acting does not suit her age. She is acting more like a fourteen or fifteen year old and it is off-putting for me as a reader because it means I can't fully enjoy the novel because I can tell that something isn't right. I'm not saying that she should be more underdeveloped, but that her manners of speaking and acting should be more accurate to those of a ten year old.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this book and if another one comes out, I will be buying it, purely to see if Lara Jean and John get together and/or if Peter improves his attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment