Friday 17 July 2015

Bookish Comments


Instead of doing a full review for these books, I have decided instead to write a small comment about each as I feel I can't do a review justice. These books are all ones that I read while on holiday in Lanzarote; you can read a lot on holiday it seems!

The Winners Curse by Marie Rutkoski - 4 stars
A really interesting and different concept. Slow in parts, but really heats up towards the end with amazing characters, especially Kestrel for her refusal to comply to the normal.

The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski - 5 stars
A great sequel with so many moments that made me want to scream in frustration at the characters, but an amazing development to the plot. It left me really needing the final book, but I have to wait another year. This book is where the series shows itself as an amazing one.

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson -4.5 stars
At first I thought that this would be a light summer read, but it actually had a much darker storyline entwined with some fluffy moments. This book did make me cry a little at the end and the themes of friendship and family truly made this book great.

The Edge of Nowhere by Elizabeth George - 3 stars
This book had the potential to be great with the ideas of supernatural powers that it contained, but they were just not carried out at high standards. Also, there seemed to be this obsession over makeup and glasses making people ugly and it is not a good image to be giving young girls who would be reading this book. It's a series I will not be continuing.

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers - 5 stars

A wonderful mix of fantasy and historical fiction with a lovely bit of romance thrown in. I was completely drawn into this story and loved the assassin element to it. I can't wait to continue with this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment