Sunday 19 July 2015

Review: All Fall Down by Ally Carter



This book is the first in a, so far, promising series. It is intriguing and has really made me think about so many different aspects of life, from friendship to family to safety. As with other books by Ally Carter, 'All Fall Down' focuses on a strong female character who has to overcome difficulties with the help of those around her. The storyline was action-packed and intense; I found myself being drawn in so deep that it was physically hard to stop reading. With lots of twists and turns along the way, this book paves the way to an amazing series.
***
Truthfully this book is more of a 4.5 star book than a 5 star one, the only reason for that being the continued confusion within the book. Of course, as this reflected Grace's own confusion, it was an important part of the novel, but at certain points the levels of confusion were so high that it clouded the story, making the book harder for me to enjoy as a reader. At the end, when it was revealed that it was Grace who killed her mother, the confusion began to make sense, yet in the main part of the novel, it was slightly overwhelming. However, I am not saying that Grace's panic attacks from her memories of her mother detracted from the storyline, as they were vital to the story, just the confusion about what was going on.
The first few sentences of this novel illustrate well how spectacular Carter is as an author. She manages to draw the reader in and makes them want to read the whole book with only a few words. Obviously, the location in which this book is set helps in that aspect as well and again, I must commend Carter on making me, as the reader, feel like I was on Embassy Row alongside Grace. It was wonderful to see such a rarely talked about aspect of life, embassies and inter-country relations, come alive within this book. Politics is also seldom discussed among teenagers and this is a great opening to that world.
The characters within this book were definitely all individuals and there was enough exploration into their lives within this novel for me to think that I knew enough about them to read about their lives. I liked the diversity of Grace's friendship group and how she was determined to stay talking to Alexei, despite the hostile situation between America and Russia there. This book is important as it shows such good relationships between characters and the overcoming of difficulties that being from very different nations may bring.
While Grace was tracking down the Scarred Man, I was completely on the edge of my seat. As this book as only from Grace's perspective, I had no opinion but hers to trust, meaning that her judgments on people were very much my judgments on people. So, learning that the Scarred Man was on her side was a complete surprise to me, and a very well written surprise as well. When the story came together at the end of the book, it made me learn that sometimes the narrator can't trust themselves, yet alone other people, and the discoveries about how Grace's mother died were very powerful and moving.

Overall, this was a great, intense read and I would recommend this book to people who have read Ally Carter's work in the past as well as people who have yet to discover her work. I will certainly be buying the next book in the series when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment