Saturday 4 July 2015

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han


This book would be a great beach read, though I read it the day before I went on holiday and now it has got me in the mood for summer. There are a few darker aspects to this novel in theme, but mainly it is a fluffy read about first love and cringey moments that can happen when you are falling in love with someone. The interweaving of flashbacks with the main storyline help to explain the relationships between the characters better and gives a greater understanding of why Belly's summers are so important to her. There are a lot of potential male love interests, each of them likeable in their own way, but sometimes it can feel a bit unrealistic because of the amount of them. I would recommend this as a holiday/beach read as it can be read quickly and is what I would class as a 'summer' novel, especially to anyone in their early teens as I feel it would appeal to that age range the most.
***
I think the title of this book lets it down in a way. It makes it seem very superficial and although parts are, the book does go deeper than that. It touches upon divorce, drinking and terminal illness, all of which are serious issues. When I picked up this book I expected it to be very superficial because of the title. Whereas I thought I would be getting groups of girls in bikinis trying to get with as many guys as possible over the summer, I actually got someone who was struggling to fit in and was dealing with the changes that being a teenager brings. I got a character who I could like, which was the opposite of what the title led me to expect.
The flashbacks in this novel were often to quite cringe-worthy scenes, but they led me to be able to understand each individual character better and gave me an insight as to why they acted the way that they did in the present day. It was interesting for me to see how things had changed between Conrad, Jeremiah, Belly and Steven over the course of the summers and how easily they went from being a group to trying to go their own separate ways. They changed as they aged and it is good to be able to see that as a reader because it means that we can feel like we know more about them and connect to them more.
Out of the three love interests for Belly introduced in this novel, I have to say that Cam appealed to me the most, though that is my own personal preference. He was smart and kind to Belly throughout the novel, even when he started to realise that she had feelings for Conrad. I think that we could all do with a guy like Cam and as it seems that Belly has given up on him, I would happily fill that spot in his life.
I can understand why Conrad would draw the attention of Belly and many other girls. Being honest, most cannot resist the pull of someone on the edge, someone who you're never fully sure about and that is what Conrad represents in this book. Personally, I found him to be more than a bit rude in places. Still, throughout the novel it was hinted at that he had feelings for Belly and I could see her making him a better person.
Jeremiah is someone who I felt slightly sorry for in this novel. He was being kind and nice and supportive, but that seemed to get him nowhere with Belly. However, I feel that a friendship between those two characters could benefit them both and would be best for the continuing storyline, though I guess it won't be done, as a friendship can be just as or even more important than a romantic relationship. That is something that is so often undervalued in YA fiction. I just hope that by the end of the series they are still friends.
Belly's courage is something that I definitely admire about her. She eventually told Conrad what she was feeling with no frills or beating around the bush and that is a very hard and brave thing to do. Admitting that you like someone is never easy, and that was only made harder by the fact that she knew she was putting their friendship on the line. Also, she dealt with the news that Susannah's cancer had returned as well as she could have been expected to, but in really quite a mature way. She didn't give up on her as other people might have, instead planning on sticking it out with her. That is something that not a lot of people who have the choice to leave can manage, as demonstrated by Susannah's own husband.

Overall, this was an interesting and entertaining read that is great for summer. There were too many love interests for my liking, but the storyline was good and I will be reading the next book when I can get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment