Tuesday 11 August 2015

Personal Preference

There are some things that I like to come up in books and some things that I don't. In particular, I feel like sex can sometimes ruin a book.

Now, I'm not talking about after a huge build up two characters having sex for the first time because they love each other; I'm all for that. The problem, however, comes after that moment. Just because they can, the characters have sex again and again and again. It makes me want to scratch my eyeballs out.

Of course the characters are entitled to have sex if they want to, but when it starts to detract from the plot it makes me so so angry. I want to hear about you defeating the evil person or saving your best friend, not about how great it made you feel when his hands caressed your inner thigh.

Too much sex can put me right off a book and it's a shame because often the books can be really great.


The message I would give out to authors is just because a book is aimed at a late teen/adult audience doesn't mean it should become filled with sex just because it can be. Focus on the story instead and if it is right for the characters at the time then sex is fine, but just not for five or six chapters in a row. 

No comments:

Post a Comment