Wednesday 2 December 2015

A Compulsion To Finish


We all have books we don't particularly like; it's inevitable. Often people, when encountering these books, will put them down and never pick them up again, but I can't do that. Once I've started a book, I will finish it and I will try relentlessly to make myself enjoy it. Sometimes it will even work, the storyline will pick up and I'll find myself reading a decent book. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen a lot.

However, my compulsion extends even further than that. If the book is the first in a series, I may still buy the second in hope that it will get better.

This is what has happened with the Girl Online series. The first was bought as a gift for me last year and it ended up being a quick, unexciting read with a plot so unrealistic I felt like giving up on more than just the book. Still, I persisted and a couple of weeks ago I bought the sequel, though I still have yet to read it.


It seems like my compulsion is a curse that will just end up dragging my money, and maybe other good books, away, though hopefully one day I will find it to be a blessing. 

-E

2 comments:

  1. I have the same feeling about Girl Online! The first one was so unrealistic and there was too much sweetness in it... And i bought the second one and guess what? it was just as bad as the first one :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a shame :( Too much childish type fantasies don't make for a good series.

    ReplyDelete