Saturday 25 June 2016

Are monthly TBR lists more trouble than they're worth?




At the start of each month, my feed fills up with TBR lists, usually at least five or six books, some of them having featured in this person's monthly TBR photos for, well, months. Comparing their TBRs and their wrap-ups, you start to notice those books than keep on falling through the cracks and it's made me wonder whether TBR lists are worth it.

Some major examples for me are Carry On by Rainbow Rowell and Simon vs. the Homo-Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. They feature on my monthly TBR photos again and again, but for some reason, whenever I start a new book in that month, I never feel drawn to pick them up. I don't know why, maybe I'm just not in the mood for them, and that's okay, but I worry that I will pick them up because I feel forced to, rather than because I really want to.

So, from now on, I will not be setting myself monthly TBR's and instead I will just be picking up whatever I'm in the mood to read. I will aim to read certain books within a set time period, like "I really want to read this book by the end of summer!", but they will only be aims, not books I feel I have to read in order to feel accomplished in my bookish endeavours.


What do you think of monthly TBR lists? Are they are a help or a hindrance? Do you just go with the flow or do you stick to them like glue?

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment