Monday 23 March 2020

Review: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón


My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


I had no idea what to expect when I started reading this book and my expectations from the first few chapters were very different to how the book ended up turning out. Initially it seemed to be more of an urban fantasy tale, but by the end there was no doubt that it was a suspenseful thriller. I ended up not being able to put this book down, especially towards the end when the mystery started to unravel, and I was constantly scared that any character would die.

That being said, even though there is no doubt in my mind that this book is a five star read because of the suspense and mystery, there were things that I disliked about the book. One of the things was the constant sexism throughout the book, which exuded from almost every character; though it can be partially be put down to the time when the book was set, at times it seemed to go a bit far. The second thing that I didn’t like was the casual mention that Daniel was going to die because it took all the suspense surrounding Daniel’s well being away from me and made me not only know that his death was coming but also that he would survive. Without that mention I would have been none the wiser and that part of the book wouldn’t have been spoiled.


No comments:

Post a Comment