Sunday 29 March 2020

Review: Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell



My rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Whilst there’s no doubt in my mind that after reading this book I’ll be picking up the next when it comes out, Wayward Son didn’t amaze me. The premise of this book was promising. I think the idea of looking at what happens after a hero’s journey “ends” was good because it’s true, we get to the end of a book series, film or TV show and just accept that it’s over and everybody has their happily ever after. Seeing Simon’s mental health improve throughout the course of this book definitely helped lift my own spirits and having the group together again to fight off forces meant this book was hard for me to put down, for sure.

The large fight at the end wasn’t a satisfying climax to this book. The quick switches between the characters that were narrating instead of making the scene fast-paced meant that I kept losing track of where each person was in the fight and the general progress of it. I think without the switching narration and with fewer components to the fight, it would have been much easier to grasp and made a more fitting conclusion to the book.

This next point might make it seem like I’m knit picking, but as a British person, the way Penelope, Baz and Simon spoke really bugged me. Things like Penelope not knowing what a tornado was and Simon saying he was “shagged out” (I know shagged can technically mean tired, but no person, British or otherwise, that I know uses it in that way and let me tell you, no one in this book was having the experience of the main meaning of this word from my recollection) really drew me out of the story. It was made more annoying because it was something that could have easily been fixed by switching phrases.


No comments:

Post a Comment