Tuesday 28 July 2020

Review: Anne of Ingleside by L. M. Montgomery


My rating: ⭐⭐


This book was sweet, though I didn’t see much point in its existence. With the other add in book, Anne of Windy Willows, it filled a clear gap in Anne’s life that had been missed in the original books. However, with this book, it filled a much more random amount of time, from long after Anne’s House of Dreams had ended to a few months before Rainbow Valley starts. I was that interested in that allotted time, or maybe I would have been more interested in it if the book had been different.

By that I mean that similarly to Rainbow Valley, this book followed scores of perspectives and I didn’t much care for most of them. I think had I not read Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside this book would have been confusing because of the sheer number of children who had a perspective in this story, yet this book is supposed to be set before them…

Aside from that, it was a sweet enough book about the trials and tribulations of childhood, though childhood from an advantaged perspective, and touched on the issues a marriage can face as children and work take over, which I thought was interesting. Overall though, there wasn’t enough to tie this book together to justify its creation, though at least not everyone loved Anne! (Though of course most people did.)


[Goodreads parallel]

No comments:

Post a Comment