Saturday 19 September 2015

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


An intriguing story that deals with a subject matter most other YA novels don't dare to touch, whilst also having a sci-fi element that makes you question the meaning of balance within our world. With a tantalising romance and a mix of loveable and detestable characters, 'The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer' is undeniably amazing.

***

I first read this book a few years ago and, though I enjoyed it, I was not overwhelmed by it and didn't find it necessary to continue on with the series. Looking back after having read the book again, I cannot understand what led me to that conclusion. I was captivated throughout the entire story and over the space of only a few chapters, came to love the main characters for their differing traits. As well as that, I don't understand how I could have stopped myself from purchasing the second book after that cliff-hanger ending!

The powers that were introduced in this novel really interested me. The idea of controlling life and death is one that many have obsessed over and it was good to see Mara's hatred of her power; she was able to realise the truth about that sort of power. Just because something is coveted, doesn't mean it is good.


Overall, this is a great book that I would recommend to teenage girls who are starting to broaden their reading span from contemporary fiction to other genres. 

No comments:

Post a Comment